Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Eat. Drink. Be Merry.

Last night, I hosted a little Christmas party for several of the Americanas here in Madrid. With sugar cookies and Gingerbread men to decorate, Christmas songs playing in the background and spiced wine simmering on the stove, I think we all felt a bit more in the Christmas spirit before going on our merry ways.

As always, it was so nice to talk to other American girls living in Spain. It’s interesting to hear different perspectives on the pros/cons between Spain and the US, to discuss travel plans and to learn tips for navigating this foreign place through other people’s experiences. And honestly, it’s just plain good for the soul to sympathize over the lack of readily available baking goods, to vent over some of the cultural differences that we just don’t quite (and may not ever) understand and to engage in some good old fashion girl talk.

PC042442

And, whether it’s a helpful tip, funny tidbit or just plain weird, I always learn something new. Last night, I learned that:

1) I have to check out Mercadona,  which is apparently one of the best grocery stores in the center and not too terribly far from our apartment.

2) the recipes on Martha Stewart are always tweaked just a bit to ensure that your cookies or breads never turn out quite as perfectly as Martha’s. Que sneaky!

3) Elf on the Shelf is not new! Apparently, Super Moms in Ohio have been doing this for ages under a different alias!

4) Some Spaniards (and possibly their American girlfriends) believe that if you cut up an onion and sleep with it near you when you’re sick and coughing, you’ll wake up better (albeit smelly) the next day!

5) I love playing hostess! It’s so fun planning what to make, gathering all the things we’ll need and coming up with creative ideas. I have to admit I was quite proud of myself for repurposing mini gift bows as wine glass markers when I couldn’t find my wine charms. (Without the help of Pinterest, I might add.) I also enjoy making our home ready and, hopefully, welcoming. It’s not magazine worthy nor furnished by Pottery Barn, but I’ve put quite a bit of time and thought into making our home cozy and comfortable for us. It’s nice being able to share that with others.

6) Gingerbread men are almost too cute to eat!

PC042448

I said, Almost.

PC042452

No comments:

Post a Comment