Thursday, March 31, 2011

Overnight Oats.

I've been reading a bunch of fitness/healthy eating/healthy living blogs recently and so many of these girls seemed obsessed with overnight oats, and last night I decided to try them. In a lot of the recipes I've seen, they use greek yogurt, peanut butter, mashed banana, chia seeds...you name it, they throw it in there. I didn't have much of that stuff, and I've seen recipes that just use milk (sans yogurt) so I kept it simple and combined 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup skim milk, cinnamon and sweetner to taste. When I got out my oats this morning, they looked so unappealing that I knew immediately I wouldn't be eating them for breakfast. One tiny taste confirmed my original thoughts. They were gross. It was basically just cold oatmeal. What's wrong with warm oatmeal? Maybe I did something wrong or maybe I just don't get it? I'm not sure. After the one nasty taste, I decided to stick with my trusty combo of Light Vanilla Activia yogurt and Kashi Go Lean. Tasty and full of protein, fiber and calcium to break my fast. If anyone actually ever reads this that does love overnight oats, let me know your secret. I'd be wiling to try them again.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't they supposed to be in the crockpot? And if so, why would they be cold? :) I tried the steel cut oats in the crockpot a while back but I don't see how they're any better than just cooking them in the morning (or instant oatmeal) :) I go for activia and Kashi go lean as well---with some blackberries thrown in! :)

    ReplyDelete